I’ve enjoyed my childhood and young adult life leisurely reading all the Harry Potter books and today is the 20th year when the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was released. It certainly gives me feels and I was like “wait that was twenty years ago?!”. I can clearly remember swishing and flicking my pen muttering Wingardium Leviosa and quickly being disappointed that the other pen didn’t levitate. I probably pronounced it wrong.
So to celebrate with all the Potterheads of the world, I decided to write something I love…no, something I dream to do! To travel magically. Here are the 8 magical ways to travel in JK Rowling’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
1. To Apparate/ Teleportation: Probably not the best feeling to feel but if it takes your anywhere instantly, why not. There’s risk of splinching in which you’re body gets split when another person tries to go to another place while you’re apparating (like what happened to Ron during the last film)
2. Floo Network: Safest way to travel but you have to be clear on pronouncing the destination otherwise you’ll be transported elsewhere.
In use for centuries, the Floo Network, while somewhat uncomfortable, has many advantages. Firstly, unlike broomsticks, the Network can be used without fear of breaking the International Statute of Secrecy. Secondly, unlike Apparition, there is little to no danger of serious injury. Thirdly, it can be used to transport children, the elderly and the infirm.
Description- Harry Potter Fandom Wikia
3. Vanishing Cabinets: It’s like a magical doorway from one cabinet to another cabinet. In this story one was at Hogwarts and the other one was at Borgin and Burkes. It was seen in the movie that you can use these cabinets to transport things, but if one is broken, things sent will be transported to limbo. The said cabinets where later used as a passage way for the Death Eaters to enter the school.
4. Portkeys: Everyday objects that won’t attract the attention of Muggles, that is enchanted to transport you to a pre-arranged destination. It’s like I will invite you all to my party, just head on to downtown and look for my Silver Boot portkey by the bakery. Got it?
5. Flying: The first sport they teach at Hogwarts is flying. Flying a broomstick. Muggle life is so unfair, all we get is like chess or ping-pong. Wizards and witches in Harry Potter can fly basically on anything. We’ve seen broomsticks, Thestrals (a dead like horse dragon that pulls and flies carriages and can only be seen by people who have witnessed death), flying motorcycles and even a Ford Anglia. So how do you want to go your favorite beach now? You can make a scene and arrive on a Hungarian Horntail Dragon, can’t you?
6. Ground Travel: They have Hogwarts Express which you have to find in an enchanted platform called 9 3/4, Ministry Cars are basically magical government-owned cars which are enhanced with charms so the interiors are more useful, and of course the Knight Bus which is a triple-decker purple bus that assists stranded people for the magical community. I definitely dig the Ministry Cars so I can wiggle myself out of traffic on a road trip.
7. Toilet Network: This is more for Ministry workers where people step on a toilet and they are flushed (safely) to the Ministry of Magic. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, gross right?
8. Time TurJulyner: Okay, maybe not a mode of transportation but it get’s you to where you want to be, when you want to be. Just a few clicks and you can be at the right place and of course the right time.
So which transport do you wish to use? Wherever you are, Potterhead or Muggle, I wish you a magical day and don’t forget to go for an adventure today!